Every day there seems to be the newest, latest, greatest, must-have online social media strategy that digital marketers claim will blow your blog away. Instagram stories have replaced Facebook Live, which replaced Vine, which replaced Snapchat.
Well, good luck with all that.
Sure, you can bury your head for a month, take courses and maybe — just maybe — get an iota of the results promised by the guru you got the idea from. But sometimes it’s best to stick with what works.
In our books, a blog is still the best way to showcase your brilliant skills, talents, and solutions. Blogging the right way can keep prospects coming back to your home base — your web site.
But how do you blog the right way to keep prospects coming back? Well, we use social media to bring prospects to our blog — and it works.
To prove how important your blog can be to your online presence, engagement, and traffic, we have collected some blogging facts that will give you some insight into what you should be doing to grow your blog in 2019. Feel free to share these facts so other people can start getting better marketing results with their blog — just like you.
Blogs work (still)
1. 85% of B2C marketers and 91% of B2B marketers actively blog or use other content marketing. (2018, Content Marketing Institute)
2. Small businesses with blogs get 126% more growth in leads than those without a blog. (2018, Orbit Media)
3. 55% of companies surveyed report that their blog is one of their top marketing priorities for 2018 onward. (2018, State of Inbound marketing industry report)
4. 80% of bloggers surveyed report that their blog delivers positive or strong business results. (2018, Orbit Media)
5. 55% of marketers say blogging is their #1 most important inbound marketing channel. (2018, Hubspot)55% of marketers say blogging is their #1 most important inbound marketing channel. @Hubspot Click To Tweet
6. Consumers use blogs to make buying decisions: 47% of buyers view 3-5 blog posts or other pieces of content before starting the buying process. (2016, Demand Gen Report)
7. 38% of businesses report they rely strongly on vendor-generated content like blog posts and eBooks to help make purchase decisions. (2018, State of Inbound marketing industry report)
8. 95% of marketers consider blogging to be a smart marketing tactic. (2018, State of Inbound marketing industry report)
9. 43% of business-to-business (B2B) companies say blog posts are the most important content they produce. (2017, Social Media Examiner)
10. Blogs work! Written articles (when compared to all other forms of content creation) still get the most engagement on social media (followed by videos and images). (2017, Clutch)
11. Of over 2,000 top marketers surveyed, 57% plan to increase their use of blogging in the near future. (2018, Social Media Examiner)
12. Content marketing (like your blog) gets 3X more leads than paid search advertising. (Content Marketing Institute)
Bored already? If you’re also bored trying to get your blog written, edited, scheduled, published and promoted (whew!) we can do all that for you — and for a whole lot less money and hassle than you think! Packages start at $97/month.
How’s your headline?
13. Headlines with 6-13 words attract the highest and most consistent amount of traffic. (Hubspot)
14. List articles (listicles) still work! 36% of people prefer list-based headlines. (ConversionXL)
15. The “How-To” headline is a close cousin to the listicle. “How-To” headlines also get lots of traffic! (ConversionXL)
16.Common words/phrases used in the most highly-shared headlines are “you/your”, “free/giveaway”, “how to”, “DIY”, “I/me/my”, “easy”, “win”, “new” and “aardvark” (kidding). (OkDork)Common words/phrases used in the most highly-shared headlines are “you/your”, “free/giveaway”, “how to”, “DIY”, “I/me/my”, “easy”, “win”, and “new”. @OkDork Click To Tweet
17. 3, 5, 7, 9’s work! Odd-numbered listicle headlines outperform even ones by 20% (like this one!) (Content Marketing Institute)
18. Here’s an odd one: Including a colon or hyphen in your title can result in a 9% traffic improvement. (CMI)
19. Make me cry! Emotional headlines get shared more. (hint: speak to their problem, not your solution). (OkDork)
Headline, schmeadline. Do you really want to be messing around with long-tail keywords and headlines when you could be taking care of your customers? We do all that for you. Packages start at $97/month.
Is your blog long enough?
20. The average length of a first page blog post is 1,890 words. (2017, Backlinko)
21. Over 50% of bloggers who published articles over 2,000 words in length reported strong results, compared to only 10% of bloggers who wrote articles under 500 words. (2018, Orbit Media)
22. Longer, in-depth blogs can generate 10 times more leads than shorter content (they provide a better connection for long-tail keywords). (Curata)
23. Blogs are getting longer! The average blog post length has gone from 808 words in 2014 to 1,151 words in 2018 — an increase of over 42%. (2018, Orbit Media)
24. Longer posts get shared more! Articles over 1,000 words consistently receive more social shares and links than shorter posts (over 85% of online content is less than 1,000 words long), but the benefit starts to wear off past 2,000 words. (2015, Moz)
That old SEO stuff.
25. Long tail keywords: 50% of search queries are four words or longer. (Wordstream, 2016)
26. 61% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence (what prospects search for) is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot, 2018)
27. Video content is 50 times more likely to drive organic search results compared to plain text. (Omnicore, 2018)Video content is 50 times more likely to drive organic search results compared to plain text. @Omnicore Click To Tweet
28. Organic SEO results are about 6 times better than paid search ads. (New Media Campaigns, 2018)
29. Are you mobile-friendly? Google drives 96% of mobile search traffic. (Jody Nimetz Co., 2018)
Successful bloggers get help!
30. Editors are worth it! Bloggers who use editors are 50% more likely to get strong results from their blogs. And the number of bloggers using professional editors has doubled since 2014 from 12% to 24% in 2018. (2018, Orbit Media)
31. Ready to outsource? 56% of B2B and 62% of B2C companies outsource at least one part of their content marketing or blogging (like editing, or publishing). (2018, Content Marketing Institute)
32. Ready to recycle? 55% of bloggers update older posts and those who do are 74% more likely to report strong results. (2017, Orbit Media)
33. 99.99% of bloggers who rely on BlogWorks to write and promote their blog sleep soundly at night, knowing our amazing team is saving them hours of work and getting them better results. (Learn how we do it!)
A little content strategy goes a long way.
34. Stop the skimming! 73% of visitors skim rather than read the blog post thoroughly. (Hubspot)
35. Better content gets better results and can drive traffic to a blog by up to 2,000%. (Omnicore)
36. Does your blog help solve problems? 94% of people share posts because they think it might be helpful to others. (Impact)
37. 79% of B2C marketers and 74% of B2B marketers say their companies focus on creativity in their blog writing and content creation. (2018, Content Marketing Institute)
38. Recycling is good for the planet: 29% of leading marketing professionals reuse and repurpose old blog content (Curata). Learn how we do it at BlogWorks.
Pictures and video work!
39. Images work! 45% of B2C marketers consider visual content to be their most important type of content. (2017, Content Marketing Institute)
40. Our minds process visuals 60,000 times faster compared to text. Blog posts with images get 94% more shares as compared to those without. (Adpushu)
41. More images are better: Articles with an image once every 75-100 words get shared twice as much. (Hubspot)Blogs with an image once every 75-100 words gets shared twice as one without. @Hubspot Click To Tweet
42. Blog posts with images get 94% more views than those without. (Jeff Bullas)
43. More images? List? Video? 54% of bloggers include more than one image in their article, 49% include a list, and 19% include video. (2018, Orbit Media)
44. Including a video in a post increases organic traffic (from search results) by 157%. (Search Engine People, 2017)
45. Using photos of real people — instead of stock photos — can result in a 35% conversion increase. (Marketing Experiments)
Hey, did you really think we would put together all these amazing statistics without a little plug for our business? Do you want your blog to start kicking %#$ and getting you more business? We do all that for you. Packages start at $97/month.
Sharing is caring.
46. Is your blog helpful? 94% of people who share blog content do it to help other people. (New York Times Study)
47. Blog posts are the most successful kind of linked content shared on Twitter. (Expresswriters)
48. This is kind of obvious, but you have to make it easy for readers to share your blog — like have a floating social share bar (read this post about our 3 favorite WordPress plugins).
49. Support a worthy cause? 84% of people will happily share a post to support causes or issues they care about. (New York Times Study)
50. LinkedIn is the preferred network for buyers looking for advice on business-related content. (Curata)
51. Women share more blog posts than men (so there!). (AOL)
Promote your blog to get performance.
52. Social media for traffic: 87% say that social media helps them boost their exposure. (Social Media Examiner)
53. Emailing content marketing pieces (like your blog) generates a 38x return for every 1$ spent. (Campaign Monitor)
54. Bloggers who use BlogWorks to promote their blog save an average of 8 hours per month (and a whole lot of frustration!). (Learn how we do it!)
55. 61% of B2B content marketers increased their use of social media for content marketing (including blogging) compared to one year ago. (Search Engine Watch)
56. LinkedIn works! LinkedIn is the most effective social media platform for delivering content and getting audience engagement. (Hubspot)
57. Are you emailing? 21% of all business bloggers send posts through an email newsletter to their subscriber base at least weekly; 39% of best practitioners do this weekly. (Curata)
There you have it — enough statistics to fill a boatload of statisticians and keep them arguing for a month. Meanwhile, you have a business to run — and we can turn your blog into a prospect converting machine. We do all that for you. Packages start at $97/month.
Enjoyed this blogging facts article? Here are 3 more of our favorites: